Friday, September 23, 2011

Teen contributor to 'It Gets Better Project' takes his own life

On Sunday Sept 18th 14yr old Jamey Rodemeyer committed suicide.  Jamey had been questioning his sexuality and was constantly harassed for it, not only in school but online as well. He was told things such as "JAMIE IS STUPID, GAY, FAT ANND UGLY. HE MUST DIE!” and “I wouldn't care if you died. No one would. So just do it :) It would make everyone WAY more happier!”
Despite all he was going through Jamey still tried to make the world better for other people going through the same difficulties.  He participated in the 'It Gets Better Project' his video reaching over 700,000 views.  Unfortunately for Jamey it did not get better and during Suicide Prevention Week (Sept. 4-10) he posted "No one in my school cares about preventing suicide, while you're the ones calling me [gay slur] and tearing me down."
"I always say how bullied I am, but no one listens, "What do I have to do so people will listen to me?"
Less than two weeks later he was found dead outside his New York home.  Police have decided to open a criminal investigation about the case and the Amherst Police Department's Special Victims Unit has said it will determine whether to charge some students with harassment, cyber-harassment or hate crimes. Police said three students in particular might have been involved.

When will we realize that despite our differences, no matter what they may be, that bullying just isnt an option anymore?  How many years will it take for us to stop seeing skin color, sexual prefence, religious views, etc.. and see the person underneath it all?  Are we just going to keep going in circles, because we were supposed to be better than this. One day when these ignorant kids grow up they're going lie awake in bed and realize the pain they've caused, old and alone they're going to realize that their hatered drove people to their death and I can promise that that will be worse than any punishment the law can dish out.  I know that I certainly wouldn't want to live with that on my shoulders, I can't imagine anyone would.


I leave you with Jamey's video and one final thought: If it were you being treated this way, or your sister/brother/best friend, would you stand by and watch them become so worn down and alone that the only option for them is to take their own life, or would you stand up and do something? 
http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject#p/f/13/-Pb1CaGMdWk
 

No comments:

Post a Comment